Parallax backgrounds! Distance indicators!
Since the original entry for the Ludum Dare 38, the majority of criticism for Penguin Deliveries has been over the static background and not being able to tell your speed; being a complete newbie to Unity, I'd already spent 5 hours of the 48 I had over the weekend trying to figure it out to no avail, so abandoned it as a "something I will try again later if I have time", which of course never materialised.
To continue my Unity learning, I've been focusing on polishing up Penguin Deliveries and optimising performance where I can; to this end I've added in a distance indicator with the Super Helpful Directional Arrow(tm) and finally conquered the parallax backgrounds with the help from a load of tutorials and Unity forum posts! I'm super pleased with how it has turned out, and plan to tweak and adjust it and the art to make it even better over the coming couple weeks.
For further development work, until I can consider this "done" to a level I'm happy with, I plan on implementing in no particular order:
- Per-level online leaderboards (Showing Top 10 probably)
- More assets (i originally intended on creating 5 of each type [trees, buildings, foliage, space debris]) to add more variety
- Four more levels (bringing it up to 10!)
- Multi-pad levels (to add to the difficulty, where you need to land on two+ pads in sequence)
- Level select screen
- Medals per level based on your speed vs the par timer
- Ship select (so you can choose one of three Penguin ships)
It's going to be hard, but no doubt fun!
Thanks for playing!
Get Penguin Deliveries
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.